Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, the Republican representative from Georgia, is introducing legislation Thursday morning that will in fact abolish the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) if it gets signed into law.
The legislation, entitled “The Brian A. Terry Memorial Eliminate the ATF Act,” was obtained by “The Daily Caller.” Brian Terry, the bill’s namesake, was a Marine and Border Patrol agent who was killed in a gunfight. He encountered a group of armed men attempting to rob smugglers who were transporting drugs from Mexico to the United States.
Mr. Terry was a member of a high-ranking Border Patrol Unit that joined together in operation “Fast and Furious.” The plan was to let known criminals buy weapons and then have federal agents track the purchase to other criminal organizations.
South Carolina Republican Representative Ralph Norman is a co-sponsor of the controversial legislation, along with Arizona Republican Rep. Paul Gosar and Florida Republican Rep. Matt Gaetz.
The purpose of the new legislation is the following:
- Repeal all ATF regulations and guidance that came after August 1, 2020, and to the date of enactment. This in effect rescinds hiring authority for the Bureau and shuts down the Bureau 6 months after the date of enactment.
- All alcohol, tobacco, and other regulatory functions are transferred back to the FBI.
- The Bureau will be required to publish an itemized list of all confiscated firearms and ammunition possessed by the Bureau. They must be sold to Federal Firearms Licensed (FFL) dealers through public auction before the Bureau closes.
- All proceeds from the auction are placed into a fund for the families of border patrol officers killed in the line of duty as a result of Operation Fast and Furious (i.e. after December 1, 2009). This could provide grants of up to $150,000 per family affected.
- Funds that may remain by 2032 will be directed to a program awarding states grant funds to establish firearm safety programs.
Rep. Greene said before introducing the legislation, “Joe Biden and the radical, anti-gun Democrats want to unleash the ATF on law-abiding gun owners across America, attacking our God-given Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms. The ATF’s ongoing, unconstitutional attacks on the Second Amendment must end.”
The representative from Georgia also described a scenario in which Eric Holder, who she described as a “hate America leftist,” directed the ATF 12 years ago to smuggle firearms to Mexican drug cartels (Operation Fast & Furious) who then used those firearms to kill American hero Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry.
She declared that this kind of action could “NEVER be allowed to happen again.” And Greene warned that Biden’s “gun-grabber” David Chipman wants to “ban, confiscate and destroy the most popular self-defense and hunting rifle in America owned by millions of American patriots.”
She believes that this is a clear indication that the ATF’s war on gun owners is about to ramp up.
“I’m introducing this legislation to Eliminate the ATF to protect ALL gun owners across this country from a tyrannical, power-hungry group of bureaucrats whose goal is to destroy our Second Amendment rights,” Greene noted.
The Executive Director of the American Firearms Association, Aaron Dorr, supported the legislation from Greene. He said that eliminating the ATF is long overdue.
“The ATF has been a scandal-ridden disaster long before operation Fast and Furious became front-page news. These days, they exist solely to attack the Second Amendment and the tens of millions of proud gun owners who fight to defend it. It’s high time this agency was eliminated before they can do even more damage to freedom,” Dorr said.